We haven’t even moved our furniture in yet, but Pamela and I are already learning the never-ending joys of home maintenance.
So far, I’ve had to deal with three main issues:
- The shower in the upstairs hall bathroom dumped out water and barely functioned as a shower.
- The downstairs toilet was loose and had water leaking from the tank.
- One of the garage doors got stuck halfway open.
The first issue was pretty easy to deal with. After determining that the shower looked like it should fit a standard shower head replacement, we went to Home Depot to buy a new one. We spent a while standing around confused by the assortment of shower head options from $2 to $80+, but eventually decided on a mid-range shower head with both a standard adjustable spray and a secondary head on a flexible pipe.
Upon returning home, we discovered that we couldn’t actually take the old shower head off. We didn’t have a wrench that was the right size, and our attempts to improvise with pliers and whatever else we had around just scraped metal off of the shower head. For a while, we doubted that we had a standard shower head that could be taken off, and we gave up for the night.
The next day, based on a suggestion from Pamela’s dad, who happens to be a plumber, I went to my parents’ place in San Jose to borrow an adjustable wrench from them. The wrench had no problem getting the old shower head off, and the new one was fairly straightforward to install. I guess it just goes to show that having the right tools makes things a lot easier.
I tried it out that night, and happily, it was much, much better than that sorry excuse for a shower head that we used to have.